Pavilion Fire – Hampshire Telegraph – Friday, 27 August 1926

SELSEY PAVILION FIRE. LIGHTED CIGARETTE LEFT ON A CHAIR. About 4.30 on Saturday Mr. Hobden, of High Street, Selsey discovered that the local music hall, the Pavilion, was on fire. He immediately informed Mr. F. W. Phipps. the owner, who with the assistance of Messrs. C. E. Smith and L. Maidment, and his sons obtained the parish council fire appliances and endeavoured to arrest the outbreak pending the arrival of the Chichester Brigade. In this they were successful, although the fire had a good hold and on the arrival of the brigade the fire was extinguished. The fire appears to have been caused by a cigarette being placed on an upholstered chair in the balcony, which, having caught alight, ignited the wooden staircase, the balcony and the roof. Dancing was in progress at the hall until three o'clock that morning. During the fire, a gas meter exploded and Mr. Phipps received severe injuries to his head and hands through being struck by falling slates. The roof and balcony were practically burned out, as was a portion of Mr. Phipps's estate office close at hand.

Last updated: Nov 01, 2023

You may also be interested in…

Film Preview – Bognor Regis Observer – Friday, 28 August 1959
Recruiting Address – Chichester Observer – Wednesday, 14 October 1914
Film Listings – Bognor Regis Observer – Saturday, 03 January 1948
Inquest – Chichester Observer – Wednesday, 22 August 1928
Film Preview – Bognor Regis Observer – Saturday, 10 September 1949
Sunday Cinema Licence – Portsmouth Evening News – Wednesday, 14 July 1926
Film Preview – Bognor Regis Observer – Saturday, 19 September 1953
Film Listings – Bognor Regis Observer – Saturday, 23 April 1949
"Imps Dance", Pound Day, W.I. Meeting – Hampshire Telegraph – Friday, 07 November 1930
Prisoners Of War Week Films – Hampshire Telegraph – Friday, 04 December 1942
Bognor Regis Observer – Saturday, 30 November 1946
Film Listings – Bognor Regis Observer – Friday, 09 December 1955

Proudly supported by

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.