The Selsey Hall, an art-deco building designed by Harold Arthur Woodington, opened in August 1913 after a delay over licensing issues.
The intention was to bring cinema to Selsey through silent films; locals knew it as the Cinema Hall. However, the outbreak of war in September 1914 saw the Hall become a recruitment centre and a venue for various fund-raising concerts.
The Hall hosted Christmas Dinners from 1915 to the end of the war to thank territorial forces and local service providers for their efforts. After the war, the Hall continued to provide film and live entertainment through touring concert parties.